Shanghai-based foodie and restaurateur Lindsey Fine (aka Veggie Mama) has been creating all sorts of delicious vegan recipes since moving to China eight years ago. You can read all about the perks of eating a plant-based diet via her blog Veggie Mama and sample recipes on this series, Cooking with Veggie Mama. In this edition, Lindsey shares her recipe for Red Wine Balsamic Cauliflower Roast.
It's cold outside, but one thing I love about winter is cooking up hearty soups that steam up my kitchen and keep me full for days on end. Everyone loves this hearty potato leek soup recipe... even kids! That's why creamy soups like this have a prominent place at my winter dinner table.
This potato leek soup recipe will knock your Shanghai winter fuzzy socks off. This soup is a cinch to make and can easily be stored for later, so you can heat and eat on a busy day.
Potato Leek Soup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (I use refined)
- 4 cups large leeks, sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 large white potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup coconut cream
- Bac'un bits (bac'un recipe here) and a few slices of fresh leek for garnish
1. Heat the coconut oil over medium high heat in a heavy bottomed soup pot, then add leeks and garlic. Stir frequently and cook for about 10 minutes. Reduce heat if necessary so the leeks and garlic don't burn.
2. Add potatoes, vegetable broth, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper to the pot and bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
3. Turn off the heat and remove the bay leaves. Use an immersion blender to purée the soup until silky smooth and creamy.
4. Add coconut cream and turn the heat back on to medium. Once heated through, pour into soup bowls and top with bac'un bits and sliced leek. If desired, add more freshly ground black pepper to the soup and serve.
Read more Cooking with Veggie Mama
[Images courtesy of Veggie Mama/Lindsey Fine]